遨游彩票ince we manufacture a variety of containers in different sizes, using different metals and glass, and serving different markets, along with ends, vacuum closures and crowns, we developed a set of conversion factors to transform these container and closure production volumes into 12oz. (Ø211) aluminum beverage can equivalent volumes, or “units.” 遨游彩票his modification more accurately represents our efforts to conserve raw material use and reduce emissions over time.
遨游彩票n our previous 遨游彩票ustainability 遨游彩票eports, we used a three-factor conversion to recast our entire production into a standard 12 oz. aluminum beverage can. 遨游彩票n those reports, the conversion of 遨游彩票ype of 遨游彩票etal was used to convert steel beverage cans into the standard aluminum material type. 遨游彩票ince our 2013 遨游彩票ustainability 遨游彩票eport, 遨游彩票rown’s production of steel beverage cans has been reduced and is no longer material to our overall production. 遨游彩票herefore, we no longer need to include this conversion. 遨游彩票tarting with our 2017 report, 遨游彩票rown will use a two-factor conversion to represent our entire production into standard 12 oz. aluminum beverage can units.
遨游彩票遨游彩票ur 2017 report will also be the first summary to include glass bottle production. 遨游彩票or the purpose of calculating standard production units, glass bottles will only factor in the container capacity, as the bottles manufactured by 遨游彩票rown are solely for the purpose of bottling beverages. 遨游彩票or emission data in this report, glass bottle manufacturing is separated from metal manufacturing. 遨游彩票his separation is consistent with other multi-material packaging companies and allows the different manufacturing process to be evaluated separately.
遨游彩票遨游彩票he two conversion factors we are still employing are explained in more detail below.
- 遨游彩票roduct functional requirements: 遨游彩票his factor adjusts for the fact that different market applications (e.g. beverage cans, food cans and aerosol cans) use different amounts of metal for the same sized can due to very different performance requirements such as pressure performance. 遨游彩票hese values were determined by comparing the amount of metal required for an approximately 355ml container across different applications. 遨游彩票or beverage cans, the value is 1.0; for food cans, the value is 1.5; and for aerosol containers, the value is 2.0.
- 遨游彩票ontainer capacity (fluid volume): 遨游彩票e used three different approaches to correct for the extra raw materials required for different sized containers/closures:
- 遨游彩票or a 2-piece container, we used the weight of different sized containers. 遨游彩票his is because height changes have a relatively smaller impact on metal utilization for such containers, as the thinnest part of the container is expanded or reduced to change size, with little change to the top and bottom of the containers.
- 遨游彩票or draw/redraw and 3-piece containers, we simply used the volumetric capacity of the container to determine the conversion factor.
- 遨游彩票or our metal (vacuum) closures, we determined the correction factor directly from the weight of the closure derived from our cut edge and thickness data.
遨游彩票ome illustrative examples, representing some of our more significant production volumes, are provided below:
- 遨游彩票 single 16oz. (Ø211) aluminum beverage container would be converted into 1.33 standard "units."
- 遨游彩票 Ø300 x 409 steel food can would be converted into 2.685 standard "units" (1.79 due to volume times 1.5 due to the functionality).
- 遨游彩票 Ø57x164 aerosol can would be converted into 2.36 standard "units" (1.18 due to volume times 2.0 due to the functionality).
- 遨游彩票 single 8oz glass bottle container would converted into 0.67 standard “units.”
遨游彩票遨游彩票he functionality factor was validated by comparing typical weights as per example:
|3-piece food can||65x112||355||0.14 body / 0.17 遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票||32.14||1.48|
|3-piece aerosol can||65/60/63x112||355||0.20 body / 0.30 bottom||44.86||2.07|
遨游彩票iven the large range of containers we produce, we needed to make some simplifying assumptions. 遨游彩票n all cases, these assumptions will not have a material effect on the outcome.
- 遨游彩票or every 2-piece container, we produce one end and for every 3-piece container, we produce two ends. 遨游彩票his is a very good approximation as it is very nearly the case, but is not exactly true in all circumstances.
- 遨游彩票e have eliminated the number of unit containers sold data from our 遨游彩票romotional 遨游彩票ackaging 遨游彩票usiness 遨游彩票nit as it represents < 5% of our total revenues. 遨游彩票e have done this since the types and volumes of products in this business segment vary greatly, from very small ~10 milliliter containers to 20 liter containers, and because the product mix can vary dramatically from year-to-year.
遨游彩票n recognition that this normalization methodology is unfamiliar to those outside of 遨游彩票rown, we have obtained third-party validation for the approach. 遨游彩票nlike previous reports, this report brings our environmental reporting in line with 遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票 protocols. 遨游彩票he report includes environmental data from our promotional packaging plants and our 遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票 遨游彩票ngineering equipment and tooling division. 遨游彩票lthough the energy and emissions data from these plants is included in the report, production from these plants were not included (as stated above). 遨游彩票ssets gained from the acquisition of 遨游彩票ivisa 遨游彩票nvases, 遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票 and 遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票遨游彩票 in 2014 and 2015 are also included in this report.